Patient Moving and Handling
This course is designed for Healthcare Workers who need training under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2007 and subsequent legislation.
There are currently no prerequisites for this course but students should be physically well enough to develop a range of patient moving and handling skills.
The course is suitable for Healthcare Workers who want to learn safe and effective techniques used in the safe moving and handling of people in a range of settings.
- Legal Issues and considerations
- Musculoskeletal System
- Biomechanics and Mechanisms for injury
- Ergonomics and Risk Assessment
- Basic Principles of Lifting
- Log Roll
- Sitting a Patient up in bed
- Turning a patient in bed using sliding sheets
- Moving a patient in bed using sliding sheets
- Sitting a patient at the edge of the bed
- Standing a patient up
- Transferring a patient from the bed to a chair
- Falling patient
- Use of a hoist and slings
Course Delivery, Assessment and Certification:
The course is facilitated by an instructor using Powerpoint, videos and training aids to guide you. Students will be evaluated by the instructor on their patient moving and handling techniques and on completion a short written examination must also be passed.
On successful completion students will be issued a certificate which is valid for 2 years.